Has the thought of loosing your iPhone ever filtered into your subconsciousness? Have you experienced it and the thought of what you could have done keeps haunting you? Let me tell you what to do.
First off, do you know that Apple has “Find My iPhone feature”? Yes, it does and it’s quite easy to use. This feature allows you to view the location of your lost or stolen iPhone, helps you find the phone by alerting people nearby with a sound played on the phone, remotely lock the phone to protect its data after marking it as stolen or lost and even go as far as erasing all the data on the iPhone if needed.
To enjoy all these functions, first you need to activate Find My iPhone on your iPhone by following the steps below.
- Open “Settings” and Click on “Apple ID” menu below the search bar.
- Click on “Find My” option which should be after “iCloud” and “Media & Purchases”.
- Click on “Find My iPhone” option the toggle on the options for “Find My iPhone”, “Find My Network” (this will locate your iPhone even if it’s offline) and “Send Last Location” (automatically sends location of your iPhone to Apple when the battery is critically low).
Once you have done these, you are all set to find your iPhone in case it goes missing. To find the location of your missing phone or erase its data remotely, just sign in to icloud.com/find
To view your missing iPhone on a map, follow the steps below:
- Once you sign in to icloud.com/iPhone using your Apple ID and Password via any browser, it should automatically start locating your iPhone and within a few seconds, the location of your iPhone should appear in a map on the screen.
PS: In case you need to find the serial number of your device, you can check it here
To play a sound on your lost phone, follow the steps below:
- Once your phone has been located, you'll be able to see an All Devices at the top of the map. Click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, select your lost iPhone model (your assigned phone name should appear here).
- Now, a floating box should appear on the top right corner of the screen. This should show a photo of your iPhone, phone name, remaining battery, etc.
- Click on the Play Sound button. This will make your iPhone vibrate and emit a beeping sound that gradually gets louder, irrespective of your phone being on silent mode or not. This feature is particularly handy when you misplace your iPhone in a nearby room or a nearby location and you aren't able to see where you have kept it. You can follow the beeping sound and find it. You'll need to unlock your phone to stop the sound.
Follow the steps below to mark your iPhone as lost
- From the floating window, click on the Lost Mode button.
- You will be asked to enter an optional phone number where you can be reached. This number will be shown on your lost iPhone. You will also be asked to enter a custom message that will show up on your iPhone as well. Note that these steps are optional. The Lost Mode will automatically lock your iPhone with a passcode to ensure that all the data within is kept secured.
- Click on Done.
Follow the steps below to erase data on your lost iPhone
- From the floating window, click on the Erase iPhone button.
- A pop-up message will ask for your confirmation. Please note that allowing this will remove all the content and settings from your iPhone. An erased iPhone can't be tracked or located.
- Click on Erase.
Did you try it?
Was this helpful? Drop a comment!
A calm, calculative, and easy-going individual with the ability to perform excellently in any position of intellect. A web designer/ developer, Digital Marketer, Brand Manager, Content developer, and Affiliate Manager. He is more of a listener than a talker with the passion for and to do things of God.
I find myself contented with Godly and goodly blessings with relentless efforts towards fulfilling purpose.